Saturday, March 7, 2009

Window Mistreatments



I love the name, right off the bat you can really do no wrong... The Nester aptly titles her no sew, no fuss, window treatments as "mistreatments". The trouble is, though unconventional, they are beautiful. We like easy, inexpensive and beautiful don't we??? The other point is that these are noncommital. If you rent, change you colors often, or want to take them with you if you move...you can. No sewing machine, no needle, no thread, no lie! Here's my first go at it. It is seriously so easy. Pick out some fabric you love. This took 1 yard. You can also choose trims like fringe, beads, tassels...Buy some upholstery tacks. I got all of my supplies at Hobby Lobby. Get out your glue gun. Ready???
I just folded over the cut edge of the fabric and make a more finished edge/hem. Glued the fringe along the bottom, gathered up the sides and actually glued the tassels onto the fabric.
Used a hammer and 2 upholstery tacks to hang it into place.
I think you could probably push the tacks right into drywall without the hammer if you are strong enough.
If you happen to stop by and look for this mistreatment in my house...you'll have to go into my closet. It's where I hung this one. I was a closet mistreatment maker. I was afraid it wouldn't work out!
Another idea is to buy ready made panels/valances and embellish them with fringe, beads, fur, buttons...anything that makes them extra special and more importantly completes your space.
You can always use straight pins to add your trims, in case you want to take them off and reuse them again.
Get creative. Can't find the right fabric, what about a table cloth or sheet?
Buy plain panels and add some other fabric at the top or bottom for drama. Check out the Nester Link and the Window Mistreatment area for many other examples. Please by all means let me know if you have questions and post links to your mistreatments here!

No comments: